Monday, August 1, 2011

well it does now























I can recall the recent debate on whether the picture dealt with entering or exiting of the car.  Surely, I was on the losing end (and I cannot recollect which side I'd argued for).  Well, it exists now so it is a non-issue anyways.  In fact, it has been for a long time.

_____

She mistakenly bought the light olive oil last week and is still apologizing profusely for it.  A colossal blunder, she'd called it.  I pan-fry some perogies, using the oil for the first time, and she strokes my back.  Her fingers feel like hummingbird feathers through my jersey knit pullover.  A kitchen light flickers.  In the pan, the crescent shapes began to crackle and crisp.  I turn down the heat and she compares the oil's procurement to Seward's purchase of Alaska.  But that was only a contemporaneous folly, I respond, the decision was irrelevant by the turn of that century with the discovery of gold up there.  She acknowledges, first, my accurate parlance then, secondly, my wider notion that all decisions filter away through time's sieve.  Those are her exact words.  It is all about relativity and context.  Those are mine.  And when combined they make more sense than onion powder and paprika.  

No comments:

Post a Comment